Tuesday, September 18, 2012
A Message for the Unbiased News Journalists
If you still call yourselves that. I'm confused. You who are supposed to bring a clear picture of world events without personal agenda are confusing the American public. The journalistic ethics that were taught when I was in the midst of my communication education have been completely abandoned for what is starting to look like a propaganda arm for the State. Who, what, when and how have been replaced by spin, redirect, confuse and pontificate. Before you roll your eyes and refuse to read further, please let me provide you with examples. Perhaps by seeing, what is so apparent to others, in black and white, you will be able to absorb the fact that you have abandoned the main function of the press: to protect the American people by providing them with knowledge in the form of facts. I have made a list. The list is short in comparison to the narrative, but this will have to do. This is a list of conclusions that you have come to and the perspective that you have written and reported from.
1) It is okay for President Obama to say that the rich need to pay their fair share, but it is a mortal sin for Governor Romney to point out that half the citizens of the country do not pay any federal tax.
2) It is okay for President Obama to lie about the cause of the attacks in Cairo and Libya, but it is not okay for Romney to tell the truth about the situation, because apparently speaking too soon in the news cycle is frowned upon.
3) It is okay for the Obama campaign to accuse Romney of causing a woman's death, but Obama actually caused the death of our Ambassador and three of the staff, through negligence but no questions are asked.
4) It is right and prudent to censor speech against the Muslim religion, but a Broadway play making fun of Mormons is just fine.
5) A movie caused unrest in the Middle East and should be censored, but the movie about killing Osama is just fine. (And that is without the argument for more questions about the security access provided the makers of the movie and the constant security leaks coming from this administration.)
6) Unions can raise money and produce ads to support a candidate, but tax-paying business owners should be denied that privilege.
7) We all need to have a stake in and pay for everyones healthcare because it's the right thing to do, but unions and large businesses can get exemptions, even though without their revenue the plan cannot mathematically work and the onus is placed squarely on small, middle-class, business owners.
8) A CNN reporter tweets to fund raise for Obama and reporters wear "Journalists for Obama" shirts while covering the DNC, but Fox news is biased. (Perhaps not announcing your bias would at least give the appearance.)
9) Obama skips intelligence meetings claiming to read the briefings on an ipad but admits in public that he can't figure out how to work an iphone. Really?
10) Romney is the one not ready for foreign policy decisions, yet he is the only one that had actually visited our greatest ally, Isreal, and has actually met with Prime Minister Netanyahu.
11) We are supposed to care that Romney outsourced some jobs in his private business ventures, but we should ignore that 7 of 10 GM jobs are now overseas.
12) Nearly every endeavor Romney has attempted has been successful, and Obama had Solydra, but you act like it never happened.
13) Romney followers supposedly have some sort of secret racist language, although no one seems to know it, yet Biden. . . Really? He gets a pass on actual racist comments, and not just once but continually. Really?
14) The American people are supposed to thin down and eat better because it is costing us all in healthcare costs, but Obama can smoke because it's legal, and what, because he's thin?
15) The polls are all +D by 6-13% but you report them as though they are an actual snapshot of the electorate.
16) Media Matters colluding with the White House on how to spin the news. What?
You are making me tired, and ashamed of the profession. Why don't you all just state what side of the fence you're clinging to, and we can choose who to listen to based on our own bias? Because with reporting like this, you will never change the world.